Burn 20 is a fully legitimate blackjack game variation, but is quite rare to find. It has some different rules with the way the dealer plays, as well as how the game is dealt. It uses 8 decks of cards, but only uses half of the shoe; with the rest of the shoe being cut out. This is done due to the fact that the Ten value cards are quite advantageous for the player.
The rules and how Burn 20 is played is quite interesting. The rules include:
- The dealer must hit on Soft 17.
- Players can split any pair.
- Surrender is not allowed.
- Players can double any number of cards, which means that the strategy of soft hands and hands of 9 will change.
- If the dealer starts with a ten value card, they must check their hole card. If they have another ten value card or an Ace of the same suit, they will burn that hand; discard it and deal another two cards. The dealer cannot have a hard 20 or a blackjack of the same suit.
- If the dealer has a 9 and an Ace, the hand will continue as it is a Soft 20.
- If the dealer gets a 22, all bets will push, expect for blackjacks.
There are several strategies that players can use when playing Burn 20. They should split 2’s, 3’s. 7’s, and 9’s when the dealer is showing a ten value card. They should also hit a 13 when the dealer is showing a 2. If you see that the dealer has a ten value card showing, you know that they do not have a 20, which will alter the way you play.